Cats can make a mess, but the correct litter box can help keep it all contained. If you own a Maine Coon, you must find the best litter box to fit its size and needs.
In this blog post, we’ll be going over some of the top litter boxes that are perfect for Maine Coon cats so you can find the one that works best for you and your furry friend!
Choosing the Best Litter Boxes for Maine Coons
A litter box is one of the essential pieces of equipment for any Maine Coon owner. Because these cats are so large and have such long fur, they typically require a larger litter box than the average cat. Not only do they need a giant litter box, but it also has to handle more litter and withstand more vigorous scratching.
When choosing a litter box for your Maine Coon, there are some essential factors to consider, such as size, materials, and features. The litter box size should accommodate your cat’s body size: it should be at least two inches deeper than their length and width combined so that they can turn around comfortably in the space available.
If you’re looking for extra protection against paws tracking out wet or dry litter on carpet or other soft surfaces, consider a plastic-lined or enclosed design with a lid that will help contain mess during use.
The material used also needs to be considered – most plastic boxes can scratch easily with nails if your cat is particularly enthusiastic about their digging! Softer materials like reinforced cardboard will resist scratches better than plastic but may not last as long under heavy use by multiple cats.
Whatever material you decide upon should also stand up to regular cleaning with antibacterial sprays/wipes or even boiling water if taking extra precautions against any nasty germs.
Ultimately when choosing the best litter box for your Maine Coon, you must pay attention to its usability from both an owner’s perspective and an animal’s – it’s much easier when both parties feel comfortable with their setup!
Here are our five picks of litter boxes for Maine Coon
The Frisco High Back Extra Large Litter Box
It is a large, covered litter box designed for cats. It is made from durable plastic and features a high back to help contain litter and reduce the amount of scattered litter on the floor.
- Large size: The extra large size of this litter box makes it suitable for larger or multiple cats. It provides plenty of room for cats to move around and do their business comfortably.
- High back: The high back design helps contain litter and reduces the amount of scattered litter on the floor. This can help keep your home cleaner and reduce the frequency of litter box cleanings.
- Easy to clean: The Frisco High Back Extra Large Litter Box is made from durable plastic and has a smooth surface, making it easy to wipe. The high-back design also makes it easier to scoop the litter without spilling it on the floor.
- Odor control: The covered design of this litter box helps contain odors, making it a good choice for people sensitive to strong smells.
- It may be too large for some cats: The extra large size of this litter box may be intimidating, especially for smaller or timider.
- It may be difficult to scoop litter: The high-back design of this litter box may make it more challenging to reach the litter in the corners, making scooping the litter more time-consuming.
- It may be difficult to access for some cats: The covered design of this litter box may make it more difficult for some cats, especially those older or with mobility issues.
Overall, the Frisco High Back Extra Large Litter Box is a good choice for people who have large cats or multiple cats and want a litter box that is easy to clean and helps contain odors. However, there may be better choices for people with smaller or timid cats or mobility issues.
The Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box
This litter is popular among cat owners for its unique design and effective odor control. Here are some pros and cons of this litter box:
- The dome shape of the litter box helps contain odors, as it has a built-in carbon filter in the lid.
- The clean step feature allows cats to step on a ramp to remove excess litter from their paws before exiting the box, which can help keep the surrounding area clean.
- The high walls of the litter box help contain litter and prevent spills.
- The litter box is made of durable plastic and is easy to clean.
- Some cats may be hesitant to use the ramp, especially if they are older or have mobility issues.
- The litter box size may not be suitable for large or multiple cats.
- The litter box may be too tall for some cats, making it difficult for them to use it comfortably.
- The price of the litter box may be higher than other options on the market.
Overall, the Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box is a high-quality option that can help control odors and keep the surrounding area clean. However, it may not be suitable for all cats, and the price may be a consideration for some pet owners.
The Petmate Cat Litter Pan
The Petmate Cat Litter Pan is a popular choice for cat owners looking for a durable and easy-to-use litter box for their feline friends. It is made of high-quality plastic that is both sturdy and easy to clean, and its design includes a built-in odor control system to help keep your home smelling fresh.
One of the main pros of the Petmate Cat Litter Pan is its durability. The plastic material is sturdy and resistant to cracks and breaks, so you can count on it to last for a long time. The litter pan also has a non-stick surface that helps to prevent litter from sticking to the sides, making it easier to clean and maintain.
Another pro of the Petmate Cat Litter Pan is its built-in odor control system. The pan features a charcoal filter that helps to absorb and neutralize odors, keeping your home smelling fresh and clean. The filter is replaceable, so you can easily replace it as needed to maintain its effectiveness.
One potential con of the Petmate Cat Litter Pan is that it may only be suitable for some big cats. Some users have reported that the pan may be small for cats over 15 pounds, making it difficult for them to move around and use the litter box comfortably.
The Petmate Cat Litter Pan is a reliable and easy-to-use option for cat owners. Its durability and built-in odor control system make it an excellent choice for keeping your home smelling fresh and your litter box clean and easy to maintain.
Nature’s Miracle Silver Oval Hooded Litter Box
It is a litter box designed for cats with a hood and an oval shape. It is made of durable plastic and has a silver color.
- The hooded design helps to contain odors and reduce litter scatter, making it easier to keep the area clean and hygienic.
- The oval shape allows for more space inside the litter box, benefiting larger or multiple cats.
- The silver color is attractive and may blend better with some home decor than other colors.
- The plastic material is durable and easy to clean, which can be important for busy pet owners.
- Some users have reported that the hooded design may be too low for some cats, causing them to feel cramped or uncomfortable.
- The plastic material may not be as durable as other materials, such as stainless steel, and may scratch or dent more easily.
- The oval shape may take up more space in the home than other litter box shapes.
- Silver may show dirt and grime more quickly than darker colors, requiring more frequent cleaning.
Overall, the Nature’s Miracle Silver Oval Hooded Litter Box is a good option for cat owners looking for a litter box with a hooded design and an oval shape. It is easy to clean and helps to contain odors, but it may only be suitable for some cats and require more frequent cleaning due to its silver color.
Nature’s Miracle Advanced High-Sided Litter Box
It is a litter box designed to contain litter and reduce tracking. It has high sides to prevent litter from spilling out and a built-in odor control system to help control odors.
- High sides to prevent litter from spilling out: The high sides of this litter box can help to contain litter and reduce tracking. This can be especially useful if you have a cat that tends to kick litter out of the box or if you have a small space that you want to keep clean.
- Built-in odor control system: This litter box’s built-in odor control system can help reduce odors, which can be a significant benefit if you have a multiple-cat household or your cat has a powerful smell.
- Easy to clean: The Nature’s Miracle Advanced High-Sided Litter Box is made of durable plastic that is easy to clean. It has a removable bottom for easy cleaning and disposal of litter.
- It may be too large for some spaces: Depending on the size of your room, this litter box may need to be bigger to fit comfortably. It measures 21 inches long, 16 inches wide, and 15 inches tall, so it may not be suitable for smaller apartments or homes.
- It may be too expensive for some: The Nature’s Miracle Advanced High-Sided Litter Box is more expensive than some other litter boxes on the market, which may be a drawback for some consumers.
Overall, the Nature’s Miracle Advanced High-Sided Litter Box is a well-designed litter box that can help to reduce tracking and control odors. It is easy to clean and made of durable plastic, but it may be too large or expensive for some consumers.
Where To Place The Litter Boxes
Whether you have a Maine Coon or another large breed of cat, the location where the litter boxes are placed is essential when it comes to health and hygiene. While there are general guidelines that apply to all cats, some breeds, like Maine Coons have special considerations that should be taken into account.
Here are some key factors to consider when choosing where to place litter boxes for your Maine Coon:
Litter boxes can quickly become dirty and unhygienic. Choose an easy-to-clean package made from durable materials with smooth surfaces to reduce potential odors and make cleaning up after your pet more efficient. Away from noise – Maine Coons can be easily startled by unusual sounds or noises, so it’s best to keep their litter box away from areas with a lot of activity or potential distractions.
Your pet should feel secure in its designated area to eliminate waste, so if possible, try to provide them with some partial shelters — such as a screen — around the box itself. This will help create a quieter, more sheltered environment for your pet using their litter box.
Keep your pet’s litter box away from direct sunlight and any drafty areas to help minimize odors and debris buildup around the box. Ensure that the site is also easily accessible — allowing cats to go there without too much playful interference from other animals or children
Remember that more giant cats need larger litter boxes than smaller breeds, so consider the size of your Maine Coon before deciding on the appropriate container size.
How To Place The Litter Box The Right Way
Maine Coon cats are considered giant domestic cats, notorious for having large volumes and long hair. With this being said, it is imperative to consider their litter box when looking for cats to befriend. We want to ensure our Maine Coons find comfort in the litter boxes that we choose for them!
When placing a litter box for a Maine Coon, it is crucial to consider several factors.
First, you must think about the size of the box. These cats have much longer legs than most domesticated cats, meaning a larger litter box will be necessary to fit comfortably. Those with longer fur need even more room in their crates than those without.
Secondly, you must choose a type of litter that suits your Maine Coon’sCoon’s needs; some types may irritate their sensitive noses while others provide adequate absorption and odor control.
Thirdly, think about placement – giving your cat easy access is critical! Make sure the box is not blocked off by furniture or other objects and has enough space surrounding it for them to turn around quickly if necessary.
And finally, keep an eye out for signs that your Maine Coon enjoys its litterbox – paying attention to subtle cues, such as where they tend to prefer going when visiting, can help you adjust your placement as needed. Hence, everyone remains happy and comfortable over time!
How To Prevent Any Bad Smells
Maine Coon cats are known for their independent nature and beauty. But one thing that comes with owning this breed of cat is dealing with its litter box smell. Putting up with the unpleasant odor can be challenging for many pet owners. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to prevent any nasty smells effectively.
When choosing a litter box for your Maine Coon, it’s essential to take into consideration the size and footprint of your feline friend. It should be large enough for your Maine Coon to turn around inside comfortably; otherwise, they won’t want to use it.
It would be best if you also opted for a covered unit, as they contain odors more effectively than open boxes. Additionally, select a product made with high-quality materials such as stainless steel or plastic that can be easily scrubbed down when necessary.
You’ll also need a litter that can absorb liquid and keeps odors under control without sticking too much onto your Maine Coon’s paws when they exit the litter box–or possibly anything else in the house! The type of litter you choose often depends on personal preference.
Still, it would be best if you always looked for ones labeled dust-free and non-toxic so as not to injure unsuspecting people or animals breathing in tiny dust particles or allergens from them. Make sure the brand you select is appropriate for both long-haired and short-haired cats – even breeds such as the Maine coon – so there’s no excessive grooming needed afterward!
Consider adding an air freshener near the litter box and ensure it’s away from living spaces. Air fresheners can help tackle any lingering grumpy odors at their source by making them less concentrated throughout an area.
However, it is crucial to choose an appropriate scent that isn’t overpowering or overwhelming – avoid citrus scents if possible because cats may find them offensive! When used correctly, deodorizers can help keep things nice and smelling despite not being able to eliminate all foul odors from a cat’s waste matter in one go.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that bad smells become a thing of the past when it comes to your beloved Maine coon’scoon’s litter box habits!
Why You Might Need Several Litter Boxes
If you own a Maine Coon, chances are you’re going to want to be responsible and make sure that your cat has an excellent place to use the restroom. One option is to get a giant litter box so that there is plenty of room for your cat to do its business.
However, due to their size and amount of fur, Maine Coons tend to need more than one litter box for them to be comfortable doing their business. While many cat owners opt for just one giant litter box for the whole house, having several can help make things easier if your pet likes certain areas better than others.
When considering how many litters boxes your Maine Coon might need, factor in any common areas it frequents. Having another litter box could be beneficial if it spends a lot of time in the den or family room. The same goes for any other spaces they usually inhabit: adding one or two extra boxes would give them enough options when it comes time for them to do their business.
In addition, if you have multiple cats living in the home, you will also need enough litter boxes, so each cat has its spot available at all times. You don’t want territorial disagreements between cats over who gets access to which package!
No matter how many boxes you decide on getting ultimately depends on your personal preference – but remember that 4-5 is usually suggested as a safe number when looking out for the best needs of your Maine Coon friend!
When choosing the correct litter box for your Maine Coon, there are several essential considerations. First, the size needs to be large enough for your cat and provide them with plenty of room to move around comfortably.
Second, look for one that is easy to clean and has a hood or high sides to help contain odors from overflowing waste into other areas of your home. Lastly, be sure it’s durable, as this cat breed can be pretty heavy and cause some damage if they accidentally scratch or claw the plastic materials.
The best litter box for Maine Coons should also prevent any unwanted tracking of soil or unwanted deposits in other parts of your home. Look for one with high sides that helps contain odors within and also stops any litter from being kicked out.
A sifting or scooping system helps to keep the litter clumps separated from regular material and keeps them from clumping together on the bottom of the box, where it can be difficult to remove without manual effort.
Additionally, some cats prefer covered boxes since it offers more privacy while using the box. It is beneficial if you have multiple cats in your home since it eliminates competition when accessing the same litter box.