Macaws are some of the most rewarding pets. Their antics bring joy to their owners. In order to keep your parrot healthy and happy, it is important to make sure that you have the right tactile stimulation for them. Fortunately, there are Macaw toys available in a variety of types to keep them occupied.
Macaws as Pets
Macaws are social birds. They are the largest species of parrots. They are estimated to have a lifespan of 80 years or more. Even though they are considered to be social, they tend to bond with one person and will be fiercely defensive of their human.
Macaws can be quite demanding of their owners. Their intelligence has been compared to that of a four- to an eight-year-old human child. They are capable of developing a substantial vocabulary. They are also known to throw temper tantrums, hurling things out of their cages.
If you plan to train your Macaw, you will need to acquire it at a young age. Macaws should be kept in a large cage. Since they like to keep busy, you will need to keep their interest by supplying them with toys. If they lack things to play with, they have been known to pluck their own feathers off instead.
They need to have fresh water every day. They also should be bathed with warm water on a regular schedule. It is important to clean their cage frequently as they can become ill from the fumes released by their droppings.
Parrots are omnivores which means that they eat fruit, vegetables, and meat. Their diets need to include fruit and grains with a lot of fiber. Much of the fiber can be gained from various toys you place in their cages.
Top 4 Macaw Toys
The very best Macaw toys will keep your bird busy for hours on end. It is important that these birds have something to chew on to keep their beaks in top condition and alleviate boredom while you are away. Equipping their cage with a selection of toys may also discourage temper tantrums and other destructive behavior.
Here are the top four toys we recommend for your Macaw.
The Planet Pleasures Pineapple Foraging bird toy is made of natural materials. It has plenty of places for you to hide treats for your Macaw to find. The toys are colorful and a great addition to any cage.
- Available in 4 sizes
- Manufactured from materials they would encounter in the wild.
- Helps condition the beak and prevent overgrown beak conditions.
- Hanger can be easily chewed through.
- Spikes are very sharp.
The Super Bird Creations Rainbow Bridge bird toy is constructed from wooden blocks, pine blocks, plastic chains, and wooden beads. It is great for perching, playing, and chewing. The different colors provide your Macaw with the stimulation they need to prevent boredom.
- Bird bridge design promotes perching and chewing.
- Available in three different sizes.
- Promotes playtime with the swinging bridge design.
- Hanging chain does not hold up against strong beaks.
- Some birds will destroy this quickly.
The Planet Pleasures Spiked Pinata bird toy is made of palm and rope. These handmade colorful toys provide some of the dietary fiber important to your bird’s dietary needs.
- Comes in four different sizes.
- Made from material that is easily shredded and can calm a nervous bird.
- Hanging streamers help your Macaw preen.
- Hangar can be easily chewed through.
- Some birds might not be interested.
The Planet Pleasures Octopus Pinata bird toy is a delightful and colorful all-natural creation. It comes in three different sizes. Each toy is hand made so you will get a different color combination every time.
- Numerous textured streamers promote preening.
- Materials are good for conditioning their beak and preventing an overgrown beak condition.
- Shreddable material can calm nervous birds and provide additional dietary fiber.
- Hangar does not last long.
- Some birds can demolish this toy in hours
The Macaw is a large social and intelligent bird. They can be high maintenance birds who need a large cage and plenty of attention. They need to have enough Macaw toys in their cage to keep their attention.
It is important to take care of your Macaw’s cage regularly. Keeping their cage clean, supplying them with fresh water consistently, and providing them with engaging toys can keep them happy and prevent temper tantrums.
Of the four toys reviewed, my favorite is the Super Bird Creations Rainbow Bridge bird toy. The combination of fibrous woods to chew on and a design that promotes playing is a winner for keeping your Macaw happy.