Hamsters are cute, small, furry balls of love that are extremely fun and entertaining to have around. People started taking care of hamsters as pets back in the 1930s, and since then they have become quite popular because it is impossible not to fall in love with them.
Although they look tiny and easy to look after, these cute rodents still need a specific type of habitat that mimics their natural home, and certain added items like hamster tube for cage will ensure that your pet is thriving.
But, is a tube for cage safe for the little ball of love? Do hamsters really need tubes? And, is it safe to have a hamster tube in cage? If you want to find out, keep reading our content below.
Do Hamster Cages Need Tubes?
A hamster tube for cage, and any other accessory you may have in mind, is highly recommended for your cute, tiny pet, and there are a few reasons for that.
Increased Space for Roaming Around
By adding tubes to your hamster’s cage you will increase space for the little one to roam around and explore, which will make the furry ball even happier. In the wild, hamsters have quite larger habitat than the one you can create for it.
Recreate its Natural Habitat
Since naturally hamsters live underground in tunnels and burrow constantly, creating a maze with tubes will recreate its natural habitat and it will feel more familiar.
Mental Stimulation and Physical Activity
When you rearrange your hamster’s tubes for its cage, you provide constant mental stimulation for the little one. This will decrease the risk of your pet becoming bored, which can lead to numerous unhealthy behaviors.
The Best Hamster Tube for Cage
There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind when purchasing hamster tubes.
Firstly, remember that not all brands for hamster tubes go together. It is better to ensure you stick to the same brand because if the tubes you buy don’t stick together, it can be dangerous for your pet.
Secondly, get your accessories according to the breed of your rodent. Certain breeds, like a dwarf hamster, are smaller in size and it is best if you get smaller sizes of tubes that are appropriate for their size.
And lastly, routine maintenance is a must for your pet’s safety. The more tubes you purchase, the more maintenance you will need to do. Ensure your rodent is in the cage when you take out the tubes for cleaning.
Are Cages With Tubes Bad for Hamsters?
Most tubes and tunnels are plastic, and they can be a little bit slippery. For this reason, when choosing a hamster tube ensure that it has rungs on the inside. This will enable your pet to get a grip.
Another thing to consider is getting tubes appropriate for the size of your hamster so that it has enough airflow when it is inside and exploring.
Furthermore, your cage should have an opening for tubes so that you can connect them properly.
Other than these few precautions, cages with tubes are pretty great for hamsters, and your furry ball will enjoy exploring them.
Can Hamsters Get Stuck in Their Tubes?
If you take into consideration all that we mentioned above, size, airflow, and proper attachment, you shouldn’t have any issues, and your pet should be totally safe roaming inside the tubes and getting some exercise.
However, even if you have thought of everything, keep an eye on your furry ball of love when it is inside the tubes. If your pet does get stuck, then you probably will have to break the tubes to get the little one out. If you can’t safely take your rodent out, then take it to a veterinarian immediately.
The Best Hamster Tube for Cage – Our Top Six Recommendations
The assorted replacement tubes are made to fit CritterTrail. With each T-tube having cross ventilation holes, it will provide your hamster with adequate airflow.
Moreover, the little one will climb safely, securely, and comfortably thanks to the bubble wave design.
Also, your maintenance time is going to be a breeze thanks to the connector rings which snap on easily and fit securely and safely.
- The T-Tubes have cross ventilation holes for increased airflow
- They are easy to clean and maintain because their connector rings snap on easy
- They are safe and secure for the hamster to climb because they have a bubble wave design
- They may not be very suitable for larger hamster breeds
This is another great hamster product by Kaytee. Straight replacement tubes for CritterTrail with ventilation holes for adequate airflow.
The bubble wave design creates a safe and secure climbing experience for your hamster.
Moreover, the easy snap-on connector rings fit safely and securely, while making your maintenance experience simple and easy.
- The straight tubes have ventilation holes for comfortable breathing
- They are safe and secure to climb due to their bubble wave design
- Cleaning and maintaining the tubes is easy because their connector rings snap on easily
- It may not be suitable for larger hamster breeds
Looking for an entertainment accessory for your furry friend that is soft and fun at the same time? Then this small striped crinkle tunnel is will provide comfort for your hamster while exploring and listening to the crinkle sound.
Lined with plush fabric, this tunnel has a hide and seek hole that can take your hamster’s exploration to the next level.
- It is soft, comfortable, and fun
- It makes crinkle sound to amuse your hamster even more
- It has hide and seek hole which increases the level of enjoyment
- It may not be suitable for larger hamster breeds
- Not all hamsters will enjoy this type of tunnel
This Fun-nel tube for Syrian hamsters provides a lot of fun when connected to the CritterTrail habitats.
The size of the tube makes it comfortable for Syrian hamsters to move and turn around inside it.
Furthermore, the ventilation holes on every tube make it safe and secure for the little furry balls of love.
The safety flip-open access door creates an opportunity to safely remove your pet if it gets stuck.
- The tubes have ventilation holes for additional airflow
- The tubes have a flip-open access door for your hamster’s safety
- There is enough space for Syrian hamsters to turn around inside the tubes
- Your hamster may be able to open the access door, so keep an eye on it
OVO Habitat For Dwarf Hamster By Habitrail
If you want a dwarf hamster habitat with built-in tubes, then this product by Habitrail would be a great choice.
It is specifically designed for small, dwarf hamsters, and it gives enough space for burrowing, exploring, climbing, sleeping, and exercising.
The habitat is made of clear plastic, which makes it easy for you to keep an eye on your pet. In addition, its perforated panels provide ventilation and better airflow.
The comfy hideouts, the entire living area, and the large tubing mimic the hamster’s natural living environment providing safety, fun, and comfort.
- It mimics your pet’s natural living environment with all the add-ons and exciting tubes
- It has improved airflow and ventilation due to the perforated panels
- It provides plenty of spots for your pet to have fun, burrow, and explore
- It may take some effort to assemble it
- Ensure that the size of the tubes and the habitat is adequate for the size of your pet
- It doesn’t allow for any additional accessories to be connected
CritterTrail Habitat For Small Animal On Two Levels By Kaytee
This CritterTrail Habitat provides you with an entire fun space for your hamster. It comes with other accessories such as water bottles, a food dish, and an exercise wheel.
It is on two levels giving you living space and a petting zone where you can spend some time with your rodent.
It comes with expandability ports that allow you to connect more add-ons to create more space for the little one to play and have fun.
- It comes with all necessary accessories for complete habitat
- It has two levels, one for living space, the other for you to interact with your hamster
- It has ports where you can connect additional accessories
- It may be too small for some breeds
- It’s not very easy to clean
The three most important things you need to consider when buying a hamster tube for a cage are that it is an adequate size, that it provides enough airflow, and that it has a safe and secure attachment. If these requirements are satisfied then your hamster will have a fun and enjoyable life.